In order to do the retreat successfully, you must be really
free from all commitments for the period of the retreat.
All phone calls, e-mail, letters, tickets, flight confirmations, money changing, visa extensions etc. must be arranged and organized before the retreat begins.
There is no way to do them during the retreat.
Your phone has to be deposited for safe keeping during the retreat.
You must be in good
general health, both physically and mentally. The retreat is not suitable for people with mental disorders or drug addictions.
A motto of Venerable Ajahn Buddhadasa was "Live plainly, aim high". This is reflected in the retreat's very simple living conditions in close contact with nature. For example:
- The private room for your use is small, containing just a hard bed with a
simple straw mat, a blanket, a mosquito net, and a wooden pillow.
Toilets (mainly Western style) and baths (Asian style mandi) are shared facilities.
- We'll have two vegetarian meals a day plus a drink in the evening.
We cannot provide any extras or special diets and you may not bring
any food or drink in the retreat.
- Loose clothing e.g. T-shirt, fisherman pants. Due to monastic custom the
body should be completely covered from the shoulders to below the knees,
including the upper arms. No see-through clothing please.
It is not necessary to dress in white during the retreat.
- Slippers, since shoes have to be taken off in all buildings.
- Personal toiletries, mosquito repellent, towel, hand mirror for shaving.
- Umbrella or raincoat (during rainy season).
Some purchases (toiletries, etc.) can be made during the retreat at our small shop.